Friday, May 18, 2012

Thursday Morning Moment of Truth

I feel like I should move this to a Friday post since I never seem to get to blog on Thursdays.

148.2 I'll take it!

Beginning Weight: 162 lbs
Current Weight: 148.2 lbs
Total Weight Lost: 13.8 lbs

So yesterday I got up and was really not feeling well. I went to the doctor as soon as the clinic opened to have some tests run. I hadn't weighed in that day so I wasn't really sure what it was going to be, but I had weighed in on Wednesday and it said 148.6 (same as last week) so I was curious as to what was going on. They took my blood pressure and all that jazz and then put me on the doctor scale. I watched as she started moving the balance weight and when she finished I noticed the bottom heavy weight was still set to 150, so I asked her what I weighed in at and she said 154. WHATTHEF***. I looked at the nurse and said "well that can't be right, I weighed in yesterday at 148.6" her response...."haha sorry."

Now having weighed in at almost 6 lbs heavier than the day before I was really curious as to what was going on (and really freaked out btw). The doctor looked at my symptoms and ran a urine panel. Apparently I have an advanced UTI and was really really dehydrated which was causing me to bloat (a lot). So I went home with 2 prescriptions, 1 antibiotic and 1 pain reliever (that makes my pee really bright yellow) and instructions to drink as much water as possible over the next few days. I drank a total of 160 oz of water yesterday!! I could tell it made a huge difference in how I felt and also in my weigh in this morning.

The antibiotics make me extremely nauseous, so much so that I ended up throwing up all my dinner last night and only could eat saltine crackers and some vanilla frozen yogurt (I know that sounds odd but the probiotic qualities of the active cultures in yogurt, fro-yo, and keifer help put back the good bacteria in your stomach after the antibiotics kill it all). I am waiting to here back from the doctors office about switching to a different antibiotic, if not I should be super skinny by the time these 10 days are over.

Here is the moral of this story kids.

1) DRINK WATER. You need to be drinking plain water everyday and lots of it. At least 8, 8oz glasses a day (or 64 oz). Without this water you body will not be able to function properly and could lead to bloating, constipation, headaches, fatigue, and even urinary tract infections. Also, drinking water will HELP you lose weight as it is essential to all vital organ systems in the body to run 100%.

2) If you are ever prescribed an antibiotic, you need to counter the effects by taking a probiotic as well. Antibiotics kill bacteria in the body, but in our intestines and stomach we have good bacteria that is essential to proper digestive functioning (flora). When antibiotics kill the bacteria targeted for your infection, they also take out the good stuff too which can cause excess yeast in the intestinal tract (candida) and can keep your intestines from digesting properly. I had candida in 2009 after a long stint with antibiotics. I looked like I was 5 months pregnant and had A LOT of digestive issues and it took me almost 2 months to get rid of it. So make sure you have a probiotic plan in place. There are a few ways to do this. You can buy probiotic supplements over the counter at your drug store. Make sure they have at least 5 million active cultures in the supplement (the one I take has 15 million) and keep them refrigerated at home, they last longer. You can also buy supplements at some chiropractic and natural health doctors offices or stores (I get mine from a natural health doctor). Food that contain active cultures are keifer, yogurt, and frozen yogurt along with some others. Make sure you don't take you probiotic supplement with your antibiotic, rather alternate them. If you take them together the antibiotic will cancel out the probiotic. Talk to your doctor or health care provider about a probiotic plan when prescribed antibiotics!!

Hope this helps kids. I am going to get back to reading the hunger games in my PJs on the porch since it is so beautiful outside!

Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment