Sunday, May 13, 2012

Explorers & Rugged Outdoorsmen

Saturday David and I slept in and then I made breakfast. After we ate the weather was looking dreary but it hadn't started raining yet so we packed up the kayaks and hit the lake. We thought we would be able to stay out for an hour or so but ended up being on the water for 3! The weather cooperated and we ended up having a fantastic afternoon and getting a great workout in.

Now, growing up in the south means I have to be a little country, and past the accent (I honestly don't hear it until I hear my voice recorded), and the choice of word and phrase usage (apparently a "come to jesus talk" is a foreign concept to people north of our fair state) I try to keep the country at bay. But every now and then a girl's gotta do something a little countrified, so David and I like to go kayaking at this place called Old City Lake. It's not the scenery we like, but the snapping turtle hunting. We also don't use rods or reels or fishing equipment of any kind. Imagine hand-fishing or catfish grabbing, but with big ass snapping turtles. Yeah... it's scary. I only catch the baby turtles but David catches the BIG ones. Like bite your hand off easily big ones. It gets muddy and gross, but it's a good time (and free, did I mention I am unemployed?)

First catch of the day. The key is to see the head and grab the tail, they can't bite you that way

Look at my turtle (not even a snapper) but cute none the less

Not Happy


2nd catch of the day and David's VERY happy

Right before he bit the paddle. Don't worry he didn't damage it

Right before he literally jumped and tried to get David
Snapping turtle hunting is fun, and country as hell. We always let them go after we get a few pictures. We have caught some big ones, I would say both of these weighed around 25-30 lbs each.

After the excitement of the turtles died down, we kayaked on down the river and found this sweet jewel. 

The coolest treehouse ever (instagram makes my shitty camera phone pictures look awesome)
This thing was just in someone's backyard. here's the run down on the tree house. It is 2 stories with 2 decks on top. It has 4 beds inside, central heat and air, electricity running underground from the house, track lighting, windows, and a real front door along with a rope bridge. Yeah.. it is intense. It didn't look like anyone was in the house so I snuck to the top and took some pics.
Not instagram picture, but gives a better idea of the height of this thing

central heat and air, grounded electricity, insulation, & windows

swinging bridge incase you wanted to hang out at the other tree platform

nicer front door than mine, with combination number lock so also probably safer
The inside had carpet on the floors and the 2 top decks had linoleum. I wonder how much they would ask for rent?

Here are a few more pics from the day! My shoulders are still sore from 3 hours of paddling!

kayaks, mine is the little one

Hideaway

Passenger

River Zen

I think I am the first person to ever take a closeup of a flower on instagram #trendsetter

cutie
Emma






No comments:

Post a Comment